Amalfi Coast PGI Lemon
The story of the Amalfi coast lemon begins in the XI century, when the Arabs introduced the cultivation of this delicious citrus in the territory of the Amalfi coast. Since that moment, the locals began the construction of the typical terraced gardens on the steep ridges of the hills.
The lemon was a valid remedy for scurvy (a disease resulting from a deficiency of vitamin C) and, for this reason, ever present on the Amalfi merchant ships, entertaining business relationship in the Mediterranean.
For its undisputed therapeutic properties, lemons were in great demand, especially from the countries of Northern Europe; the historian Matteo Camera said that in 1600 lemons “from Minori were transported by sea to other Italian markets”.
The Amalfi “sfusato” (so called for its tapering shape) has very valuable properties: the medium thickness peel is light yellow with an intense aroma rich in essential oils and terpenes (important characteristic for the production of the lemon liqueur). The flesh is juicy and moderately acid with few seeds. It is a medium-large sized lemon (at least 100 grams per fruit) as well as one of the richest varieties of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
Widely used in cooking, the Amalfi sfusato is the main ingredient of the dishes of the Amalfi coast, both fish and meat, as well as cakes, creams, teas and liqueurs.
The Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) “Amalfi Coast Lemon” was recognized according to EC Reg. No. 1356 of 4.07.2001 (published in OJ No. L. 182 of July 5th 2001). The registration in the national register of the geographical indications occurred with the ministerial decision of 18.07.01, published in the Official gazette No. 178 of 2.08.01, in addition to the product specification and the summary sheet (already published in the OJ n. C 282 of 5.10.2000).